Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Quiet Time: Check Yourself Out

Check Yourself Out

Read: 1 Thessalonians 5:22-24

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
 – 1 Thessalonians 5:23

I like the way one pastor reminds us to stay strong in our walk with Jesus. He says, “God’s effectiveness through our lives is enhanced or hindered by the way we live.” - Joe Stowell.

He got me to thinking about my walk this week. This caused me to do a personal inventory that I thought I’d share. May-be it’ll help you too.

Saturday is a good day to look back over our week and see where we walked well with Jesus and where we walked away from Him. Some questions we may ask ourselves are:

1. Did I surrender to God’s sanctification (setting me apart)?

2. Was my spirit, the part of me that communes with God, strengthened?
a. Did I have a daily quiet time?
b. Did a certain scripture stand out?
c. Did I meditate and memorize it?
d. Did I abstain from evil?

3. Was my soul (mind, will, emotions) edified or did I take in stuff that hurts my walk with Christ?
a. Did I learn something new this week?
b. Did I turn away from that which would corrupt my mind?
c. Did I do what should be done, not just what could be done?
d. Did I connect with someone through empathizing?

4. Was my body strengthened and brought into submission?
a. Did I exercise?
b. Did I moderate my intake?
c. Did I get proper rest?

I pray these questions help us prepare for worship tomorrow, that worship prepares us for the work ahead, and that our work ahead is pleasing and glorifying to God.

P.S. if you think of some other questions that might help, please share them.



No comments:

Post a Comment