Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Quiet Time: Kissing Cussing Good-bye

Kissing Cussing Goodbye

We can you know; "kiss cussing goodbye". But, the question is often asked, "Why?"

Just this afternoon I had a conversation with a fella who regularly drops “f” bombs. He was telling me how shocked he was that a well-known actor from a ‘70s western used “god -*#@” several times throughout the movie he was watching. He said that he didn’t remember movies having such foul language back in his day. I guess he considers movies different from daily conversational verbiage, none the less; I was intrigued that the language offended him.

Frankly, I’m surprised how often friends and work associates discuss the rightness or wrongness for the general use of infractions. Technically it isn’t permitted at my vocational work site (but most ignore this policy) and personally, my family doesn’t allow it in our house (no one ignores this policy, for fear of the wrath of the Mom). But, you’d be surprised how often I’m asked, even by Christians, “So, what’s wrong with cussing anyway?” First, IMO, it makes you sound stupid. I mean really, you can’t think of another word to use? When was the last time someone you respect as intelligent and thoughtful used foul language as a general rule in their conversations. Secondly, it gives the appearance of evil (1 Thess. 5:22). Finally, it is biblically banned. Not because of social norms or giving the appearance of evil, but because it pollutes the soul and hardens the heart toward the Holy Spirit. You think I’m kidding? Check out these verses: (Matt. 15:17-19) (Eph. 4:29) (Eph. 5:4) (Col. 3:8).
Therefore, if bad language is used to recognize a bad heart and a depraved mind (Rom. 1:28). If it is listed among other things to avoid, such as: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and filthiness. Should we not stop practicing it?

I said earlier, that we can kiss cussing good-bye and, “YES YOU CAN” to coin a phrase. You see, believers are new creatures in Christ. Old things are passed away. We have the fruit of the Holy Spirit, “self-control”, and we love Jesus, which makes us want to please Him. Therefore, we need to believe what God says about us and begin to walk again in newness of life.

Well, that’s my rant for today. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment