Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Quiet Time:Thor Ignored

Thor Ignored

My daughter and I recently saw the movie, “Thor”. Entertaining and fun, it had a lot of super hero action, big screen graphics, and pretty decent acting. On our way home we were discussing the movie and both of us hit on a similarity between the main character and Jesus. In the movie, Thor, a son of Oden, is cast down to earth after a falling out with his dad. Once on earth no one recognizes him for who he really is. Other than his arrival on a lightning bolt/tornado looking worm hole thingy, there’s really nothing that makes earthbound Thor any different from all the other athletic Navy Seal type humans on the planet.

Jesus, the one and only Son of God and creator of the universe chose to come to earth and no one recognized Him as Who He is (John 1:9-14). Other than his miraculous arrival through a virgin birth, His making the blind to see, the lame walk, and the dead alive again, He was unremarkable (if you can remain unremarkable after all of that). That’s when it struck me. People don’t recognize Christians for who they really are either.

For that matter, Christians tend not to see things as they really are. Jesus is our brother, God is our Father, and heaven is our home (Gal. 3:25-27). We have been placed here on good ole’ terra firma for the purpose of bringing God glory until we get back home (Eph. 2:9-11).

Now, I for one, am not looking for ice giants to fight (Thor loved fighting these guys).I certainly don’t like conflict any more than anyone else; but, one thing I’m going to try to do better is to face my challenges from a position of victory. I mean, really, what’ve I got to loose, my Father is in control and all He really asks of me is to stand firm in His strength (Eph. 6:10-13)?

Furthermore, I’ve found that the only Thors that the devil ignores are the ones who live lackadaisically?

Here’s a truism to wrap it all up:
Battles come to everyone, but not everyone comes to battle.
WHERE’S MY HAMMER?!

No comments:

Post a Comment