Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Quiet Time: Kiss Christian Cussing Goodbye Too!

Kiss Christian Cussing Goodbye Too!

There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

What about Christian cussing, is that OK? You know what that is, don’t you? That’s using infractions like “frig, frigging, ficking, darn, oh my god, geeze”, and other variations on a theme. Are these wrong? Well, I suppose that socially, these words are more acceptable, but could you really see yourself telling the pastor after Sunday morning’s service, “Geeze pastor, that was a great fricking message!” No, I don’t think so. So why would we talk that way around Jesus? He said He’d never leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). So, why play with fire. Is this too simple a way of looking at things? I have been accused of being simple.

In my last blog I lined out a few obvious (simple) reasons not to use foul language, but perhaps some of us are saying at this point, “It’s not that I don’t think cussing is wrong, it’s simply that I can’t seem to help myself. And, now I’m hearing that even variations are not to be used.” It is true, I do not think “Christian cussing” is a viable alternative to worldly cussing, but I base it on how the bible leads.

The bottom line is this, cussing is overcome like any other bad habit. Pray knowledgably, act faithfully, and move forward diligently. First, we can tell God how much He means to us and how much we want to please Him (Psalm 11:7). Next, we find scripture that corresponds to the particular challenge and memorize it for the battle ahead (see last blog on cussing). Then, every time we fail to do what we know God enjoys seeing us do, (in this case, using words that edify) we speak His word over the failure, repent, and return to God performing deeds appropriate to repentance (Acts 26:20). Finally, get an accountability partner. There is strength in numbers (Ecclesiastes 4:12). Pretty soon we’ll see that we’re finally leaving the past behind and are pressing on toward the upward call of God (Philippians 3:14).

You know something; most people say that it takes six weeks to break a habit, bad or otherwise. I think it takes two. And, since the simple truth is that there is no right way to do the wrong thing, why not begin anew today. Victory may be less than two weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment