Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2011

Quiet Time: The Green Eyed Monster

The Green Eyed Monster
Read: Galatians 5

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another. – Galatians 5:25-26

I have a confession to make: sometimes I envy the mega churches in my area.

Every once in a while I’ll go to see one of their wonderful and impecably produced musicals or worship services and I’m just blown away. Everything comes off without a hitch. Crystaline sound reinforcements, immersive stage lighting with atmospheric enhancements, and flawless instrumental and vocal talent all come together for a seemingly effortless worship experience.  Now, I understand that I don’t really know all of the ends and outs of such a large ministry, but that doesn’t keep me from wishing that most of the churches with which I’ve  served had the resources both monitarily and talent wise that the mega churches accumulate; they are truly a sight to behold! Then I get a little befuddled as I wonder why they don’t feel the need to share some of their pools of under utilized talent with many of the great yet scantly resourced churches in their area.

Frankly, I’ve come to realize that this befuddlment, although it sounds right and prudent,  is part and partial to my envy. I want what they have; plain and simple. And, that, my friends, is wrong.

 Paul tells me that if I “live by the Spirit,” if what I believe is more than just an ideal, then I must “walk by the Spirit.” I must infuse the Spirit into every aspect of my life. His fruits should be evident at work, play, what I do, and what I say. Paul goes on to instruct me to not “boast, challenge, or envy”  other believers. Christians are saved individually to live individual lives. Comparing myself to other Christians is fruitless and harmful to further growth and does nothing to strengthen who I am in Christ.

So, now I’ve confessed to the world the fact that God is still working on me. I’ve got a long way to go toward maturity in Christ. Candidly, I still plan to build myself and any ministry God gives me to serve, to the top most level. This is right, for God wants our best not our better than. But, by God’s grace I will build with the Spirit, not inspite of. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment