Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Quiet Time: You Never Arrive


You Never Arrive
 
I passed by the field of the sluggard
And by the vineyard of the man lacking sense,
And behold, it was completely overgrown with thistles; Its surface was covered with nettles, And its stone wall was broken down.
- Proverbs 24:30-31


I've had many music instructors, teachers, and professors over the years which I greatly admired.

Director S., was a hard driving typical type "A" personality who often brought artists to tears. But, he was greatly respected in the arts community and had a knack for presenting high level programs. We'd just finished a practice session in which I felt pretty good about what I'd accomplished; and, apparently my peers liked my work too as was evident from all of the pats on the back. While I packed up my equipment in preparation for the evening's show, Mr. S. moved in close and said, with dead pan inflection, "Doug, you never arrive." In other words, you did well, but you can always improve; so, keep working hard.

Mastering an instrument (or anything for that matter) is hard work. That’s why instrumentalists use the term "wood shed" as in chopping wood with an axe when describing personal practice time.
It is often long lonely work; but, then again: No wood - No warmth.

Proverbs 24:30-34 reminds us of the importance of staying on top of our game by consistently caring for what God gives us. I believe this extends to the talents God gives as well.
 

"Use it or lose it" (Proverbs 24:34)
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. One never gets so good that they can't improve. Not sure if or where you could but I know that people who constantly seek to improve always do, Someone who thinks they don't need to are the ones who eventually get left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt M. Practice is like prayer:God wants us to work hard at both.

    ReplyDelete