Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

Song Series: Grateful Verse 2

Grateful Verse 2
The miry mud and me

He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.
(Psalm 40:2)

 I was one of the few high school teens with a car, so, a request for a late night ride home wasn't unusual.  Jessica, lived in one of those old Tampa neighborhoods where the driveway ran along side the house and the cars all parked in the back. She told me it would be okay to turn around in her back yard. But, halfway through the turn my car got stuck in the rain saturated grass. It was pitch black dark,  still drizzling, and there was no way I was getting unstuck without help. Her dad finally came home and helped me pull the vehicle out of the mud. Then, he abruptly turned and demanded, "What were you doing with my daughter in the backyard?" He burst out laughing at my stuttering answer, "Na..na..NOTHING, SIR!" 


The second verse of the song "Grateful" by Elevation Church reminded me of this muddling mishap:

When I was down, You brought me out
You set my feet on higher ground
So here I stand, You are my God
Your faithfulness, my Solid Rock

 I think we do well to include verse 1:

I waited and waited and waited for God. At last He looked; finally He listened. The Message (Psalm 40:1)

I'm not a good waiter. But, I'm better at it when there's confidence that the answer is worth the wait.


Confidence takes courage. It's an assurance that God's way is better than my way; that, His truth is better than my best hunch, and, it keeps me coming back to Him again and again.

God makes mud matter (double entendre)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment