Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Quiet Time: What Do I Care



What Do I Care


Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. – Philippians 2:4

I have a confession to make. I don’t stop to help people on the side of the road much.
 Frankly, it isn’t because I'm uncaring, but because there are so many weirdos around.
   
However, on my way to church the other morning, I stopped to pick up a guy walking to work.  When I pulled up beside him I noticed that he had grease on his hands and dirt on his pants and shoes. The interior of my car is tan, and I’m pretty meticulous about keeping it clean. I’ve got to say, I was working hard not to show the frustration of him dirtying things up; but I went ahead and asked him to hop in; and, he did!

He asked where I was headed; I told him and added that I was the worship pastor at the church around the corner from his business. We had a pleasant conversation and we parted with him saying what I’ve heard so many times before, “May-be I’ll come by and visit your church.” The fact is that I’ve never, I repeat NEVER, had anyone visit any church at which I’ve ministered after giving me this line. 

Actually, I’ve come to take the phrase the same way I consider the greeting, “Hi, Doug; How are you doing?” I know they really don’t care how I’m doing; they’re just being cordial. But what if, the next time we asked someone how they’re doing we actually stop to shake their hand, look them dead in the eye, and wait for them to genuinely respond? I’ll wager they’ll stutter before answering.

By the way, the inside of the car had a long grease stain that never completely came out, but I’m glad I stopped to help. Who knows, may-be I was the only guy who cared.

You may enjoy reading the parable of the Good Samaritan again.
Here’s the link: (Luke 10:25-37)


No comments:

Post a Comment