Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Song Series: Bed Head (Living For Jesus)

No Bed Head for Me

Read: 1 Samuel 21:10-15


"Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this one to act the madman in my presence? Shall this one come into my house?" – 1 Samuel 21:15

God can make the most of a bad situation even if we’re the one who creates it.

All of us at one time or another have woken up from a fitful night's rest with the dreaded "bed head". Hairs pointing in every direction with strands popping up precariously making us look like an over-done  Alfalfa from the old Little Rascals. What used to be a morning malady is now an acceptable fashion statement. But, you know, I just don't think it works for me. Kind of like the "day old beard" look that was in a couple of years ago. When I let my whiskers grow or my hairs go unkempt it makes me look like a vagrant; not quite the look I was going for.

David was a mighty man of God; a hero we can all look up to, but there was time that he looked anything but heroic. 1 Samuel records David’s close call in his enemy’s city. He walked into Goliath’s hometown with Goliath’s sword on his hip hoping that no one would notice him. To the contrary, not only did people recognize him as the warrior Hebrew girls sang about (1 Samuel 18:6-7), but they also seemed to understand Dave’s destiny better than he did (1 Samuel 21:11-12). So, the people took him captive (Psalm 56:1) and brought him before king Achish. David saw the trouble he was in and feigned madness; scratching the floor like an animal with spit running down his chin. Achish took one look and let him go. David was neither mighty nor kingly at that moment, but he was free and very humbled, which is a great place to be in renewing a walk with the Lord. (For further study check out Psalm 34 & 56)

I suppose that changing our appearance to look more presentable isn’t necessarily a bad thing; however, trusting in looks to garner acceptance is a very slippery slope. Truthfully, this type of behavior is fear based and there’s a fine line between seeking God’s approval verses man’s (John 12:42-44). Therefore, if we find ourselves in a tough spot let’s be encouraged to be who we are, mighty men and women of God and leave the theatrics to thespians.

LIVING FOR JESUS
By Thomas Obediah Chisholm

Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment