Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2011

Song Series: A Hero to Believe In (Strong and Mighty Tower)

 A Hero to Believe In
Strong and Mighty Tower

Read: Psalm 18:1-3

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. - Psalm 18:2 (NASB)

My wife and I recently saw the new Transformers movie, “Dark Side of the Moon”. It’s a fun action packed flick that shouldn’t be taken seriously for anything other than shear entertainment. What I love about these science fiction CG extravaganzas is how the super hero always seems to find himself beat down and out of the fight. Then, by some miracle of hidden strength and indomitable courage he rises to ultimate victory over his foe in a flash of fury, forcefulness, and fire. He is after all, THE CHAMPION! But, I found myself chuckling at the end of the movie, because the audience applauded! I mean, they actually clapped in response to the movie’s climactic ending. Why? It’s not real. But, I guess everyone wants a hero to believe in.

God wants to be our hero. When life seems all but lost, He wants us to know that He will win the day. Evil may seem to advance its dark cause, but God is greater and no one can snatch us out of His hand (John 10:29). God never rises from a position of defeat. He always stands in victory over His foes (Revelation 15:3-4). We can trust Him and take Him at His word.

Having a hero who never finds himself down and out may not be the best ingredient for fictional entertainment. However, our Hero, God, The Rock, and our Refuge is a Stronghold we can all believe in. He is and always will be, THE CHAMPION!


YOUR NAME by Paul Baloche

Your Name is a strong and mighty tower

Your Name is a shelter like no other

Your Name let the nations sing it louder

'Cause nothing has the power to save

But Your Name

 

No comments:

Post a Comment