Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Quiet Time: I Beg to Differ



I Beg to Differ

Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. – Philippians 3:15 NLT

I disagree. 

When did this two word sentence become wrong?

I am a fundamental, bible believing, blood bought Christ follower who understands that the bible teaches many explicit doctrines, many more implicit truths, and an even greater number of not so clear stuff, to which my best answer is, “I don’t know.” This view neither hinders me from searching the scriptures to better understand God’s heart, nor does it keep me from hanging out with those who see things differently.

One thing I see is that the church is changing. Many things are accepted today that would have never been allowed in the past. More bewildering; fundamental doctrines are now being reshaped by some very popular teachers, possibly, for the sake of reaching an ever larger audience. 

Realistically, most of us will never be in a position to talk one on one with a rock star preacher, but there's no reason why individual believers can't sit down with their local pastor, as well as, small group bible studies and reasonably search the scriptures together, agreeing and disagreeing graciously. I see little hope of the body of Christ growing in grace and truth, let alone, being of one mind and spirit serving the LORD (Phil. 1:27) until we do. 

“I disagree”, should not separate but instigate further study and dialog. 


Dig deeper – listen longer – speak slower - practice patience



No comments:

Post a Comment