Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2013

Quiet Time: Covenant Marriage



Covenant Marriage

For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. 
– Genesis 2:24

When I married my wife I committed to love her for life.This commitment is called a covenant, which simply means an alliance, or in today’s vernacular, a contract (Prov. 2:17).  I personally like the term “alliance” because it reminds me that I chose to begin a life-long friendship with my wife.

As an ordained pastor I sometimes have the privilege of marrying couples. One of the first questions I ask is, “Why do you like him/her?” The reply is often, “I don’t like her; I love her.” Now, upon first blush, this sounds like a good answer, but let me tell you, if the person we’re planning to marry is not our friend first, the last thing we should do is commit to live and love them for life.

Perhaps God gave us marriage so that we could better understand our relationship with Christ. We see that we don’t commit to a list of rules and regulations, although that is part of any monogamous relationship; like marriage, we covenant or form an alliance with a person to love Him and be His forever friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment