Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2014

Quiet Time: Bearing Burdens

Bearing Burdens
 
Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ
– Galatians 6:2

I feel your pain. Really?

As a young boy I remember how easily I’d cry when people would share their pain and prayer requests at Wednesday night prayer meetings. It seemed so easy back then to put myself into their family’s situation and sense the anguish that mom was experiencing over a seriously ill child or the worry that came with a dad’s job loss.

Somewhere along the line, though, it became wrong to emotionally connect with another’s sorrow. That was something that men just didn’t do. So, I learned to listen with stoic indifference. It never seemed right; it wasn’t right.

The bible tells me to help “bear” or carry the heavy load of a fellow Christ follower. I picture a person about to fall under a heavy weight. He’s going down fast, but right before he falls and is crushed by the hardship, a brother steps up and helps shoulder the load. The burden is still present, but now it’s lighter and a little less “burdensome”.

On a side note: I love large church gatherings,  but there’s something to be said for what today is called “Small Group Bible Study”. This is where people can really connect; especially if it is in a home setting. There’s just something about being in someone’s living room that makes it easier to be open and real. “Doing life together” is a little cliché now a days, but that’s really what happens in a small group.

I’m learning to feel another's pain gain. I even find myself tearing up when listening to a pain-filled prayer requests. I do indeed pray for the need, but now I find myself also asking God how I might help lighten the load.

Bearing one another’s burdens helps us to fulfill the law by loving our neighbor as ourselves.

For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." – Galatians 5:14
 

No comments:

Post a Comment