Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Quiet Time: Man of My (The) Word

Man of My The Word

Read: James 1:22-25

But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does. - James 1:25

My brother in law can fix or build anything. He’s an unbelievable craftsman. However, this isn’t what gets him the work. The reason most people hire him to rebuild their kitchens, baths, and fancy outdoor living spaces is because he actually does what he says he’ll do. If he says, “I’ll start on Monday, two weeks from now at seven o-clock in the morning.” That’s exactly what will happen. He is a man of his word. We should be men and women of our word, better yet, men and women of the Word; that’s where the unforeseen joy is found.

That's what I see here in this chapter from James. We need to read the word with our hearts and minds set on doing whatever it says to do. If we do this, actually do what we read, our lives will have meaning and purpose beyond what we can imagine.
I’ve found that the more I do the word, the closer I walk with God. The closer I walk with God, the more delight and affirmation I find in Him and receive from Him. It is as if I feel God's pleasure and that is a very pleasant feeling indeed.

Common sense tells us that we should want to be men or women of the Word. It has been proven powerful, historically accurate, experientially relevant, and holistically beneficial and true. But, perhaps the best part of being men and women of the Word is the unexpected joy we find in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment