Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Quiet Time: Working Together

Working Together

Read: Mark 16:19-20

And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed. – Mark 16:20

I have a friend who loves to help people. He actually told me that he wished there was a way he could help others for a living. For example: I asked him to show me how to change the brakes on my daughter's automobile. Well, my buddy got off work a half hour early, beat me to my house, had the car up on jacks and the wheels removed before I pulled onto my driveway. What a blessing. Changing the brakes was a snap, and I never doubted one moment that we'd get them done properly as long as he worked with me. That's what I love about this story in Mark; Jesus worked with the apostles as they spread the good news.

AMAZING! Jesus "worked with them". Understand, Jesus had already gone back home to heaven at this point, but here He is, still working on earth through His followers. How? Obviously He worked through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit. God performed miracles through the apostles to show that the Message they were proclaiming was from the living God and that the power of Jesus was still alive and vibrant on planet earth.

Jesus still works with His followers today. Now, I can't say that I've seen a lot of honest to goodness miracles; no doubt, I've seen a few. None of them were very flashy, but they were indeed amazing and brought glory to God. And, I don't know about the stuff I've seen on television; it all looks a bit questionable to me, really. But, I do know Jesus works today because I've seen time and again, the unmitigated overwhelming evidence of a changed life when Jesus comes into the heart of a new believer.

A changed life; now that's a miracle - that's Jesus at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment