Search This Blog

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Quiet Time: Help My Unblief


Help My Unblief

Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, "I do believe; help my unbelief."  - Mark 9:24

Why it is that one person has the faith to believe in the Christ while another does not?

Do some people not have faith because they are more skeptical, analytical, or worldly wise than others?

History proves this not to be so. Many skeptics have come to know Christ in a real and personal way.

Some of the better known former skeptics are C.S. Lewis, Professor Antony Flew, and Dr. Hugh Ross, not to mention, of course, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, Alister Mcgrath, and Ann Rice. All of these people are more intelligent and critically sharper than the average Joe; but that doesn’t answer my question.
 
I went back to the bible to see what it had to say about how a person actually gets “saved”.

Here are a few verses that came to mind:

·         God draws.  (John 6:44) No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

·         The Holy Spirit convicts.  (John 16:8-10) And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me;…

·         The Word speaks. (John 15:22) "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.

·         Man Understands.  (Romans 1:20) For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

So God draws a person to Jesus, The Holy Spirit convicts the person that Jesus died for his sin, the Jesus confirms what the Spirit convicts, and the man understands (even without the bible, if I’m reading that right) to the point that he will be judged in accordance with his understanding without excuse.

Simply put, I see that the question of why one believes and another does not as boiling down to God’s sovereignty to draw and man’s ability to accept or reject.

How God’s unconditional love is juxtaposed with His holiness and righteous judgment for all humanity is beyond my feeble comprehension, but it is not beyond my ability to trust His omniscience.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment