Search This Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Quiet Time: Heaven's Not Enough



Heaven’s Not Enough
Blessed assurance is holding me

…not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. – 1 Peter 3:9

Sometimes I think that Christians are embarrassed by the biblical directive to live for Christ in hope of our home in heaven. It almost seems that in our rush to make the bible relevant we’ve fallen into a philosophy of pragmatism. (What's in it for me)

Today, our heroes lead mega ministries, with near cult-like followers, and have all the privileges of the rich and famous.  Now, listen, their apparent success isn’t what bugs me. It is their message, “If you just do what I’m teaching, then you will be like me; happy, wealthy, and wise.” 

The bible teaches that my sense of contentment is found in walking with Christ alone (Hebrews 13:5). As I match step with Jesus allowing Him to teach me, my heart burns with a holy fire for more of Him (Luke 24:32). I begin to seek things that lead toward peace, the very words that come from my mouth are affected, I have a desire for holiness, and I sense God’s presence and pleasure. (1 Peter 3:10-11) 

When I read (1 Peter 3:9) I feel so challenged. Blessing for insult? Really?! 

But then I remember Who’s I am and where I’m headed and I say to my soul, “Yes, and amen; all this and heaven too.”

Building 429: “Where I Belong”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment