Search This Blog

Monday, September 2, 2013

Quiet Times: Think On These Things


Think On These Things
Packing for the journey #2
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. – Philippians 4:8

The red digital numbers projected on my bedroom ceiling are just beginning to come into focus and I see that it’s way too early to be awake on a holiday morning. A scripture verse that the Spirit prompted me to memorize a few years past is dancing through my mind to the little tune I gave it. (Sometimes I set scripture to song to help me recall certain passages)

This sort of thing happens to me fairly regularly. I count it a blessing and suppose it is what the Word means when it says that the Holy Spirit will teach and help me to remember the things God has said to me (John 14:26).

Well, since I’m still packing for the life journey with Jesus and deciding what “Dos” I should have along with the “Don’ts” mentioned a couple of blogs back, I figure Philippians 4:8 would be a good one for refining a “Head for Heaven” (see First Things First).

Here’s the plan:

Before watching, listening to, or otherwise taking in or attempting at accomplish anything, I will ask myself the following questions:

1.       (TRUE) Does this square with what the bible says is true? (Psalm 25:10)

2.       (HONORABLE) Does this bring honor to me or the person/thing I’m engaging?(2 Cor. 8:21)

3.       (RIGHT)  Does this turn me from evil to do good? (Psalm 19:8)

4.       (PURE) Does this contaminate or purify me or the person/thing? (Titus 1:15)

5.       (LOVELY) Does this bring beauty? (Psalm 84:1-3)

6.       (GOOD REPUTE) Does this smack of immorality? (Proverbs 3:3-5)

7.       (EXCELLENCE) Does this encourage excellence (virtue and quality)? (2 Peter 1:5)

8.       (PRAISE WORTHY)  Can I praise God for this?(Psalm 117:1-2)

I almost fear thinking where this is headed, because, frankly, some of the stuff I like for entertainment, not that it’s all that bad in the eyes of most people, I’m not so sure would square with the list. And, some of the things that I spend time doing, are now looking like a real waste of time and effort.

“And that’s a good thing”, as my friend Clyde would say.

So, I’m gonna keep packing, because I know I’ll need this for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment